Hello. I’m called ned.
I’m sure if you’ve visited this page then you’d like to know a little more about me. I’ve done my best to provide some of this information below, however if there’s anything else that you’d like to get in touch about then please don’t hesitate to contact me.
What is your job, what do you do with yourself?
I’m an enthusiastic and ambitious online marketer, primarily specialising in SEO. I’m currently Head of Digital at Miinto, Scandinavia’s biggest online fashion retailer, working across each of their territory sites listed below:
So what does that actually mean, what do you spend your time doing?
I spend my time establishing and overseeing the Digital Marketing strategy for each individual markets and working with my teams in these local markets to implement these. This is a fairly wide and varied role, but ultimately I work at helping increase the visibility, engagement, and ultimately the revenue generated by Miinto via organic search and other inbound traffic sources, paid channels, social and eCRM.
Are you a jack of all trades, master of none then?
No. I strongly believe in learning and in a world [and industry] like we live in today I feel an openness to acquire a broad and varied skills-set is vital. Because of this, you’re as likely to see me talking about SEO as you are CRO, social media, PPC, content creation, or actual business objectives (what Wil Reynolds coined as Real Company Stuff #RCS).
What experience do you have?
I have four years industry experience working in digital marketing.
Warner Bros 2008-09
I began my career working as a Marketing Assistant in the European Theatrical Department at Warner Bros in London. Here I was introduced to the world of marketing and allowed me to expand my horizons facilitating all marketing on an international basis across 39 different territories. While there, I was lucky enough to work with exciting products (the films themselves!), on ever-varying campaigns. I worked with some of the industries most creative, up-and-coming and biggest names, including: MSN, AKQA, PHD, Google, Yahoo, Xbox, amongst many many others…
I then moved to PushON where I worked as an Analyst and Search Marketing Consultant, this involved me getting immersed in the world of SEO, PPC and Social Media while also dealing with large amounts of data collected through various research techniques. I really learned my ‘trade’ (SEO) here, and started out on a journey that ultimately led me to where I am today.
In 2010, I relocated to London and joined Quirk, a brilliant online marketing agency that has offices in London, Johannesburg and Cape Town. Here, I spent my time working across a number of great and diverse clients, including some notable mentions:
As SEO manager my primary goal was working towards increasing the visibility and engagement of my clients online assets (websites, social media channels, blogs etc). My time was spent on delivering everything from budget attribution and SEO campaign strategy, full on-site technical audits, managing accounts and keeping regular day-to-day communication, as well as working integrally with the other engagement and reporting disciplines: social media, PPC, analytics, UX and usability. In addition to this I also provided consultancy on a wide range of projects, was a central part of the new business team contributing to a number of new business pitches, and developed and delivered in-depth training sessions to a number of academic institutions and PR firms.
In 2013, I then relocated to Copenhagen, Denmark a joined Miinto. I now operate as their Head of Digital, overseeing their entire digital strategy in 5 different markets.
What qualifications have you got?
- I have an BaHons in International Business with a years industrial placement from Manchester Metropolitan University.
- I am a Google Analytics & Google AdWords Qualified Professional
- I am also a Certified Digital Marketer at the University of Stellenbosch Business School
Tell me a bit about yourself then…
As I’ve mentioned, I like to keep myself busy, this means that I have a lot of hobbies and am always looking to learn/try new things. My hobbies include:
- Travelling, seeing the world and experiencing different cultures
- Reading – I’m a big fan of learning new things, and spend a lot of time reading; my Feedly and Instapaper accounts speak for themselves…
- Writing - I’m a very active blogger and contribute to a number of top industry blogs
- Making music – I play the guitar and bass
- Keeping fit – I go to the gym a lot, I ran the Loch Ness marathon in October 2010, and also train in martial arts (kickboxing and MMA)
The other things that I am currently spending my spare time on and attempting to learn are:
- PHP (WordPress) – I have created a number of websites through which I have grown my skills in web development and developed a strong-familiarity with WordPress
- Adobe Creative Suite – Particularly Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign
- And anything else that can make me a more rounded person while developing my career in online marketing
Thank you for reading
All work by Ned Poulter is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.